Advanced Physiotherapist Practitioner - Role profile
Duties and responsibilities
- Abide by HCPC and CSP Codes of Professional Conduct, and work in line with all areas of CSP Core Standards of Practice, as well as our policies and procedural framework.
- Work independently and autonomously in managing your own complex clinical caseload of patients.
- Undertake the advanced assessment and treatment of patients using advanced theoretical and practical knowledge, who may have complex and/or chronic presentation, and to determine clinical diagnosis and formulate individualised management and treatment plans. These may include: advice and discharge, referral to physiotherapy or other professions for management, request further investigations and diagnostic procedures (MRI, X-rays, blood tests) and interpret these in order to appropriately lead the assessment and direction of the patient’s pathway of care.
- Fully understand the wider integrated MSK service and local MSK pathways across primary care, secondary care and the voluntary sector, including in-depth knowledge of referral criteria and scope of services.
- Develop strong links with secondary care to enable fast track referral to consultants for those patients who may need secondary care intervention.
- Act as a source of expertise in the management of musculoskeletal problems and provide an advisory service to patients, physiotherapists, other healthcare professionals, GPs and consultants.
- Maintain up to date patient records on our systems in a timely manner, whilst abiding by our internal procedures and Service Level Agreements.
- Attend regular and relevant courses both internally and externally, as well as keeping an up to date file of your CPD achievements in line with CSP and HCPC guidelines.
- With the support of your local management team, identify and manage any risks that may affect the quality of care, and to advise on any issues regarding service delivery.
- Communicate effectively with all stakeholders (including patients, clinical colleagues, administrative colleagues, receptionists and external allied healthcare professionals) in line with our procedures, to ensure effective patient management.
- Utilise our internal platforms such as the staff newsletter and intranet to keep up to date with relevant business, regional and team news.
- Follow all internal safeguarding and governance policies and procedures to protect patients, peers and visitors to the clinic.
- Any other duties as may be required from time to time.
Education and qualifications
- Chartered Society of Physiotherapy recognised Degree/Diploma in Physiotherapy.
- Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) registered.
- Post-registration qualification in Orthopaedic Medicine or equivalent qualification.
- MSc Module in Injection Therapy or Diploma in Injection Therapy (or working towards).
- IRMER trained.
- Extensive post-registration experience working at a senior level within speciality area (at least five years in MSK field).
- Demonstrable experience in ordering and interpreting diagnostics and histology results.
- An up to date CPD folder which demonstrates your commitment to professional development
Skills and competencies
- Demonstrates an understanding of patient/client rights and consent; putting the person at the centre of practice.
- Demonstrates ethical, legal and culturally sensitive practice.
- Excellent IT skills.
- Proven ability to communicate effectively and sensitively with a wide range of people and to build rapport quickly.
- Awareness of current initiatives within the Local and National health economy.
- Displays effective communication skills, communicating complex, sensitive and contentious information to patients, carers and colleagues.
- Performs treatment interventions appropriately for this advanced level of clinical care.
- Identifies adverse events/near misses and minimises risk associated with assessment and intervention.
- Is a proficient user of the English language including understanding through listening and reading, good spoken English in terms of interactions and production, and written English is clear, well-structured and able to convey complexity.
View our current vacancies and find out more about physiotherapy roles with Ascenti by visiting our careers area here.