Physiotherapy Graduate Scheme
Become a knowledgeable and confident physiotherapist with our award-winning training and development programme.
Work autonomously in clinic and explore the latest treatment methodologies free from red tape, with advanced technology and experienced physiotherapists supporting you every step of the way.
And importantly, enjoy life outside of work as well. Achieve your professional and personal goals with our flexible working options which include: four-day weeks, sabbaticals, and opportunities for home working as part of our award-winning virtual physiotherapy service.
Our application window is now open and we are welcoming applications from new graduates or soon-to-be graduates throughout the year, but the Ascenti Physio Grad Scheme and training programme officially starts in April and October every year.
Learn more about the grad scheme by browsing the information below.
About our physio grad scheme
Whether you’re looking for your first role after university or have graduated in the last two years and have already worked, we have a place for you.
These FAQs should provide you with everything you need to know about our physio grad scheme, but if you have any other questions you can email us at email@example.com.
About our physio grad scheme
How much will I earn and what band will I start at?
On our physio grad scheme you will start as a Band A1 Physiotherapist at Ascenti, which is similar to starting on a Band 5 role in the NHS.
Your salary will be between £22,500 - £27,120, dependant on your experience, training and the location where you work. For example, our London roles all come with a slightly higher salary to account for the increased cost of living.
How long will I be on the graduate scheme before I'm promoted?
The Ascenti Graduate Scheme lasts for between 15 - 24 months. It is important to us that our graduate clinicians are able to demonstrate the needed competencies before they progress and for this reason the scheme length may vary depending on each individual.
Our most capable physiotherapists will be able to progress out of the scheme at 15 months, but others may need a little more time and support for up to 24 months. Your progress and goals will be reviewed every three months to keep you on track.
You will be a Band A1 Physio throughout the programme as you build up your skills and experience step by step. By the time you have successfully completed the graduate scheme you will become a Band B1 Physiotherapist at Ascenti, on a salary of £27,000 - £32,205 annually depending on your location. This band is similar to an experienced Band 5 or novice Band 6 in the NHS, and you will be able to take on a more complex, varied caseload.
Will there be other progression opportunities?
Yes. You can take your career with Ascenti as far as you want to go and earn as much as £50,000 annually once you reach our highest banding level.
Once you have successfully completed the graduate scheme, you will have the opportunity to apply for a promotion once every year as part of our promotion pathway.
Learn more about our banding and progression pathway below.
What does the Ascenti graduate development programme include?
Our clinical training and development programme has won awards with Skills for Health and other prestigious organisations for a reason. It’s because we offer the best training curriculum for physiotherapists in the UK beyond university and invest more in developing our people than anyone else.
On our Physiotherapy Graduate Scheme you will benefit from:
- Welcome week - You will be given all the tools you need to start out and feel comfortable about your first day in clinic. You will spend time with our trainers at our flagship clinic in Birmingham and the clinic you will be working from, where you will meet your mentor and regional manager. During your first few weeks you will receive 50 hours of support and training.
- 150+ CPD time annually - You will have 150 hours of protected Continued Professional Development (CPD) time in your first year with us and then 100 every year afterwards. This is your time to learn and develop, made up of face-to-face mentoring support and training, observational rotations and self-directed learning such as taking part in our webinars or attending external events.
- E-learning - Access to our unique e-learning platform with a broad range of content available for you to use any time. The content has been created by leading industry professionals and specialists, including university lecturers who now work for us.
- Your support network - Your mentor will be your go-to person and an experienced senior physiotherapist working as part of your regional team. They will speak to you over the phone regularly and hold 121s in person with you every two weeks to see how you are getting on. Your mentor will help you to build your confidence in clinic day-to-day and to identify your development needs and how to fill any gaps. On top of this you will meet with your wider regional team once a month and you will use our award-winning internal communications tools to stay connected.
- Graduate training day - Once a year we hold a special event for our graduates which is an opportunity for you to learn and network with other physios on our graduate scheme.
Will I work alone or with a team?
You will work independently and autonomously in clinic, but you will never feel alone.
Your mentor and regional manager are only a phone call or a message away if you need them in-between your regular 121s and regional team meetings.
Our award-winning digital internal communications tools mean that you can also connect with the wider national Ascenti team and take part in our company wide social initiatives.
It’s true that working at Ascenti is not the same as working in the NHS or a hospital setting but working alongside lots of other physiotherapists every day isn’t necessarily better. In a pressurised hospital environment, you may find that your colleagues aren’t available and able to give you the time that you need.
Our graduate clinical training and development programme is designed to provide you with the quality time and support that you need to thrive.
Why should I choose Ascenti instead of the NHS?
Physiotherapy is a wide profession with many avenues that you could choose to go down.
We work with the NHS so we know what an amazing institution it is, but we also know that the support and opportunities you will have as a graduate looking to specialise in musculoskeletal physiotherapy will be limited.
If you know that MSK physiotherapy is the area you want to work in, then starting your career with Ascenti will mean that you benefit from related experience and scope to develop, without the need to work across other disciplines that are of little interest to you.
You will have the opportunity to work with different groups of patients and to explore the latest MSK methodologies and treatments, unconstrained by Government budgets and red tape.
In clinic you will be free from clunky paper-based processes and patient admin, as our industry leading patient workflow system, digital patient rehab tools and dedicated customer services team work to support you in clinic.
What other benefits will I get?
All of our graduate physiotherapy roles come with:
- Award-winning clinical training & development
- Promotion & progression opportunities (once 18-month scheme completed)
- 25 days annual leave (+bank holidays)
- Sell up to 5 days holiday
- In some roles you can condense your hours to a 4-day week
- Company pension scheme
- Sick pay (up to an annual cap)
- Flexible working options & family friendly ethos
- Opportunities to work from home on our virtual physio service (once scheme completed)
- Sabbaticals if you want to take time out to travel (once scheme completed)
- Healthcare cash plan
- Free first appointment & discounted physio for you
- Discounted physio for friends & family
- Free mental health support & telephone counselling
- Cycle to work scheme
- Extra cash rewards & incentives
- Relocation opportunities & bonuses
- Highstreet discounts with thousands of big brands
- Free company social & networking events
- Charity time gifting scheme & company fundraising
What makes Ascenti special?
There are four unique parts to our business that set us apart from other employers you could work with.
Training & development – No one else invests in their physiotherapy workforce like us. Our clinical development and training programme is multi award-winning and has been called one of the best curriculums for physiotherapists outside of University in the UK.
Digital health pioneers – Our award-winning digitally-enabled MSK physiotherapy services are revolutionising our industry and enhancing treatment outcomes ready for future generations. Join us and be part of this exciting step forward for the profession, which is creating new flexible and home working options for our physiotherapists.
Quality & clinical leadership – We are CQC registered with a dedicated governance and quality team. Ascenti is also clinically led, which means that top physiotherapists sit on our Executive Team and lead our business – so we really understand the needs of our clinicians and care about delivering great services for our patients.
Our national Ascenti team – We have the largest network of directly employed MSK physiotherapists in the country outside of the NHS and large hospital groups, who often sub-contract work to self-employed clinicians.
This means you will be part of a wider community of like-minded physiotherapists and will work with consistent and high-quality models of care.
Will I be working with a good company?
Yes. Top physiotherapists founded part of our business and our Executive Team is still made up of experienced clinicians who continue to lead us today.
This enables us to maintain a strong sense of social purpose and clinical heart, alongside having the mind and technology of a commercial business.
You can rest assured that you are dealing with a company that cares about doing the right thing for people and our planet. Learn more about how we’re working to make a positive difference to the world around us here.
Who can apply for the Ascenti Physiotherapy Graduate Scheme?
Our physio grad scheme is for clinicians with less than two years post-graduate experience. You will be required to start as a Band A1, which is similar to a Band 5 in the NHS.
If you don’t meet the eligibility criteria for our physio grad scheme, we may still have the perfect opportunity for you.
All of our roles come with great benefits, flexible working opportunities and our amazing clinical development programme and resources.
We also support clinicians looking to return to practice or to take their career in a new direction. Browse our current job roles here.
If successful, when can I start work?
You can start working with us as a Band A1 as soon as you would like to, but the Ascenti Physiotherapy Graduate Scheme officially starts in April and September every year.
This means your graduate development programme, observational rotations and other specialist support will not start until then.
You can still gain a lot from starting sooner and will receive the same great support and training that all of our new starters and physiotherapists do.
You can only start working with us once you have graduated and are HCPC registered.